by Michael Gilbert (adapted)
Good advice on dating is precious! It is so easy to choose the wrong mate. The Lord wants His children to be happy, and a great part of that happiness is determined by the mate we choose. We have several young people in our congregation who are of dating age, or, will soon be of dating age, so, I adapted this article for you! I hope you will keep this article through your dating years, and I pray that you will find that special person who will help you go to heaven! Go home, look up the Scriptures for each point, and seriously consider what is said. Don’t forget to ask God to help you choose your mate!
1. If he/she is not a Christian, look elsewhere. Marry a Christian (Gen. 6:1-2).
2. If your intended has nothing good to say about his/her “exes”, please be cautious (James 3:9-10).
3. Look closely at your loved one’s credit and job history. They are sure predictors of what your life will be like if you marry this person (Rom. 13:8; Col. 3:22-23).
4. If your family/friends have doubts about his/her character, pay close attention. God gave us parents for a reason (Prov. 1:8-9; 11:14).
5. Beware if the person you are dating has no friends (Prov. 18:24).
6. Pay attention if your “significant other” hates your friends (Prov. 27:4).
7. If he/she has a DUI and still drinks, run (Eph. 5:18).
8. If he is never wrong and never apologizes, everything will be “your fault” forever (1 Jn. 1:8).
9. Be sure in your heart that you can live with the person as is. You cannot change another person – only God’s Word can do that (Rom. 12:1-2).
10. If he/she is mean to children, pets, and animals – move on (Prov. 12:10).
11. If your loved one is estranged from his or her parents/family, ask why (2 Sam. 13).
12. If he’s an expert at everything and brags a lot, know that he will turn off a lot of people, eventually even you (Prov. 8:13).