by Michael Gilbert
February 11, 2007
The task of every congregation is that of local evangelism. The church at Thessalonica was a great evangelistic congregation, for Paul wrote, “For not only has the word of the Lord sounded forth from you in Macedonia and Achaia, but your faith in God has gone forth everywhere, so that we need not say anything” (1 Thess. 1:8, ESV).
The church here at DeKalb is also an evangelistic church. We send money to the orphan homes with the hope that the orphans will one day obey the gospel. We send money to foreign missionaries. We support our own preacher. Also, we mail out a great periodical, House to House/ Heart to Heart, as well as publish an article in the DeKalb News.
And that’s not all…we also have gospel meetings and VBS which promote the gospel in this community.
But can we really ever do enough? No, not really. Personally and congregationally, there is always room for improvement. With this thought in mind, I want to give you the opportunity to be evangelistic in another way.
The New Boston Public Library
This past week, I made a call to the New Boston Public Library. I asked if they accepted books and/or video donations, and the librarian said “yes”!
So…since many of you quizzed me pretty hard about my views of evangelism in the community during my “tryout” last Mother’s day…and since I assured you that I would propose new ideas on occasion…I am presenting you with a list of books (and a some videos), written by faithful Christians, which can be donated to the New Boston Library!
Here’s How It Works
(1) find the item you want to donate using the list below;
(3) sign the list (located on the table) beside the item you have chosen (if an item is already taken, please choose another).
(4) give Michael Gilbert or the elders the appropriate amount of money, earmarked “donation – title of selection”.
Suggested Children’s Books:
1. Truth Be Told (5th grade level book dealing with the myths of evolution)
2. Dinosaurs Unleashed (deals with the biblical view of dinosaurs and creation)
3. How Do You Know The Bible Is From God? (deals with how we got the Bible)
Suggested Adult Books:
1. The Quran Unveiled (deals w/Islam)
2. Behold! The Lamb of God (deals with the question “was Christ a historical person”)
3. Sin & Salvation (2-volume set which focuses on God’s plan of salvation from sin)
4. Why I am a Member of the Church of Christ (25 solid reasons to be a member of the church of Christ)
1. Science & Nature: Two Votes for God (deals with creation/evolution)
2. The Silencing of God (deals with the systematic dismantling of America’s Christian heritage by atheists, the ACLU, etc.)
3. The Quran & New Testament Christianity (deals with the dangers of Islam)
Suggested Magazines(1-year subscriptions):
1. Discovery (kids magazine dealing with Science & the Bible; dinosaurs, etc.)
2. Think (deals with a variety of topics – designed especially to be placed in public places such as libraries, hospitals, lobbies, etc.)
(If you would like to view anything on this list before donating it, please see Michael)