by Michael Gilbert
What did you learn during our gospel meeting last week? Hopefully, everyone who attended learned something!
Sadly, not everyone in our good congregation promoted the cause of Christ via attending our gospel meeting effort, and therefore, learned nothing from the visiting preacher.
Some absences can and should be placed in the “understandable” category (i.e., sickness, vehicle broke down, etc.).
Others are definitely in the “shameful” category. This category might include staying home to watch TV, indifference toward the saving of souls, choosing recreation over spiritual nourishment, etc.
Good brethren, if you are in the “shameful” category, please ponder the following words, “…and let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works, not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as ye see the Day approaching…” (Heb. 10:24-25). Those of us who attended the meeting are not sinlessly perfect, and we are not trying to be “holier-than-you” by mentioning your absence during such events. Rather, we stand in need of brotherly love and encouragement just as much as you. We love you and we need your help to get to heaven!
For those who were present, there were many benefits.
(1) The Gospel Meeting is not dead…numerous people chose to attend each night!
(2) The singing is great during Gospel Meetings. Brothers John Gibbert and Alex Evans led us in some great congregation singing!
(3) Brethren from other congregations appreciated our efforts to promote Christ in DeKalb. On Monday and Tuesday nights, several brethren were present to support us as we preached Christ. We had a healthy mix of area preachers, elders, and brethren from Redwater, North Jefferson, New Boston, Blodgett, Mt. Vernon, Atlanta, Avery, Dotson St., Broken Bow, Idabel, and perhaps other congregations. We had so many visitors that one is tempted to ask the question, “If the area brethren still believe in Gospel Meetings this much, why don’t more of our own members attend???!!!”.
(4) The Lord appreciated our efforts in trying to spread the gospel. We know this because He said, “Go ye into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature” (Mk. 16:15).
(5) All who attended were edified!
Thanks to all who made our gospel meeting a success!